Wednesday, March 7, 2007

the latest

the latest

good morning everyone,

.....just a little update on me to my faithful readers...yesterday I received my 5th chemo infusion since my last CT scan (my 28th overall) and I must say that I don't feel as overwhelmed by the side effects as I have the past few times, granted I've only eaten two pieces of toast and drank some Gatorade in the past 16 hours or so, due to nausea, i'm not really that hungry either.......I'm happy that I got to take Maritza to her 2nd softball practice of the season yesterday evening, I tried not to think about the side effects for a good hour and mustered up enough energy to be out there with her and it felt great to watch her and her 9 teammates to go through the various drills that the coaches were giving them....

today I will be doing some telecommuting from home for work so that should keep me rather busy....during the times I feel good enough to sit at the computer at least...I'm blessed that my employer has granted me the flexibility of working from home whenever I don't feel good enough to come into the office....but I do indeed miss the social aspect of the workplace at times....gets kinda lonely if I'm here by myself for more than a few days at a time but I make the best of it, by listening to music, etc. and keeping my mind focused......

recently I submitted my photo and application to hopefully be one of the few models (hehe) to pose shirtless in calendar that has been produced the past few years called the "Colondar"...it features other strong survivors like myself that have endured a colon resection and have a lovely 8 inch or so scar running down the length of their abdomen like the one I have and gives a brief summary of what each person has been through....well unfortunately I was not chosen to model for the 2008 calendar as they received over 150 applications and decided to go with persons that have mostly completed cancer treatment, which they explained as what they felt most comfortable doing because attending the calendar shoot would involve spending several days in New York and they wouldnt want to potentially pull anybody that was still receiving treatment....away from treatment....well so much for that.....

a few days ago though I received an email from one of my contacts at the Colon Cancer Alliance indicating that Katie Couric was looking for 20 or so persons to profile in a nationwide story about colon cancer so being the "media whore" that I am..hahaha...I went ahead and submitted my photo along with a little personal info and a signed release form.....hopefully I get chosen as I would love to tell my story and what better way than on nationwide tv....

...hey...has anybody dowloaded that MySpace instant messenger yet?...I did a few days ago to talk to directly to my cousins, and fam that live in other countries and it works out pretty well so if anybody has it please feel free to hit me up if you wanna message back and forth in real-time rather than waiting for messages through the mail system to get sent back and forth......just thought I'd throw that out there......

hmm...lets see what else...oh yeah also towards the end of last week I finally received those Air Max CW (Chris Webber) Nike's from 1995 that I ordered through ebay....I'm loving them indeed because I always wanted them back in the day although I must say that the picture I saw of them before ordering was a little deceiving, but nevertheless the little wear and tear that they do have seems consistent with what one would expect to see in a pair of generally well kept athletic shoes that were worn a few times and then stored away for the next 12 years until lucky me got to take them off their hands.....

and thats the news for now

much love

nate

7 comments:

Lesa said...

Hey Nate -

Glad to see you have a blog now. It was great reading about Maritza's softball. I'm sure you're the proudest parent out there.

I hope you make it to Katie Couric's show. You would make for a compelling story. Next year will be your year for the centerfold calendar.

Okay, I have a Super Nate shirt picture to post but don't know how to post it. Sorry.

Take care of yourself and try to stay out of trouble.

Lesa

Jean said...

Nate - I just came across your link on Jennifer Ireland's blog. Just wanted to send prayers and positive thoughts from the midwest. Let us know if you make Katie Couri's show...we can record it. Live Strong and Trust God.

Jean

Robin said...

Nate -
Came across your blog via Jen Ireland's blog. Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking and praying for you! I will keep checking back. I hope the Katie Couric interview comes to fruition!! Keep thinking positive - you can beat this ugly disease :)

Robin

janet said...

Hello! I found this blog via Jennifer Ireland's blog. I wanted to share info with you about a place in Kansas City, Missouri, you can call for prayer support in times of medical crisis- it's called the House of Hope and Healing. This is a non-denominational ministry of World Revival Church that is full of faith and power and stands for the GOD kind of LIFE, they see healing testimonies there everyday. You can call them at 1-877-804-LIFE and they will pray with you over the phone, check them out on the web at worldreivalchurch.com- this is a great source to add to your support- you won't be disappointed. Thanks.

Annmarie said...

I found your blog through another (Jennifer Ireland) and wanted to commnet on how strong you are. You show such great courage and strenght with not only rasing a daughter alone but also fightin cancer. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

Marcie said...

I also came across your blog via Jen Ireland's. I think it would wonderful if you get choosen to share your story with Katie Couric you seem faithful to wanting to spread the word on this sucky disease. God bless you and prayers are coming from the midwest!

Marcie

Nate said...

HI THIS IS NATE...MY BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE FOLLOWING LOCATION....http://nathanielbarrell.blogspot.com/
SO IF YOU WANT THE LATEST GO THERE..THANKS

NATE BARRELL